The Convent of the Order of Carmo in Lisbon is located in Largo do Carmo and stands, overlooking the Rossio (Praça Dom Pedro IV) on the hill bordering the Castle of São Jorge in the city and district of Lisbon, Portugal.
The set, which was the main Gothic church of the capital, and by its grandeur and monumentality competing with itself Lisbon Cathedral, lay in ruins due to the earthquake of 1755 and was not rebuilt. It constitutes one of the main witnesses of the catastrophe still visible in the city. Currently home to the ruins of the Carmo Archaeological Museum.
It is possible that the ruin of the Carmo Convent and the neighboring Convent of the Trinity, when that earthquake, is at the origin of the popular phrase “Hang the Carmo and the Trinity.”